Blade meat is a staple of Portuguese food in the New England area. The tender pork meat combined with Papo Secos (Portuguese Rolls) makes for a sandwich that is truly delicious. It is very simple and easy to make. Just ADD water to our seasoning mix and marinate your pork.
You could also make it a Blade Meat Plate with no roll. A plate of meat, rice and potatoes.
Blade meat should not be confused with Caçoila. Caçoila is a slow-simmered beef and/or pork dish. Some recipes for caçoila also add liver. Caçoila is tender and juicy with a punch of flavor from the spices like Portuguese all-spice and safflower along with tomato or orange juice added to the pot. Also know as Portuguese pulled pork.
- 1 packet of Blade Meat seasoning mix
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 pounds of pork cut into 2-inch chunks (can be boneless country pork ribs, pork loin, or pork butt)
- Add seasoning mix with 1½ cups of water, stir and mix till well blended.
- Add pork and marinate for 12-24 hours.
- Once meat is marinated, add pork with marinate to your crockpot.
- Cover slow-cooker and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
Serve: on a crusty Portuguese roll. Add roll with a generous portion of meat make sure to spoon on a little juice from the crock pot for added moisture and flavor. Or Make it a Blade Meat Plate with rice and potatoes.
Blade Meat Ingredients: Paprika, salt, minced garlic, red wine powder, vinegar powder, garlic powder, ground black pepper, crushed red hot pepper flakes