Steak and Egg Portuguese Style (Bife a Portuguesa)
Sharing is Knowledge
A classic Portuguese steak recipe. This steak and egg recipe is one of the most recognized Portuguese dishes and it's served at many Portuguese restaurants in and outside of Portugal.
- 4 two inch thick sirloin steaks
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 large eggs
- 4 teaspoons butter or olive oil to cook eggs
- Side of Brown Gravy
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the wine, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Pour the marinade into a bowl or large freezer bag
- Place the steaks and bay leaves in the same bag.
- Remove the air and seal the bag.
- Refrigerate over night.
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil to medium high.
- Remove the steaks from the freezer bag and place them on a plate that's lined with paper towel. This will remove excess liquid before placing the meat in the hot oil. Discard the marinade from the bag.
- Once the oil is hot, carefully place the steaks in the pan.
- Let them cook/sear about 4 minutes or until they look seared (you should see some brown crusty edges).
- Turn the steaks over and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the butter over the steaks and continue to cook for another two minutes.
- The steaks should be about medium. Cook longer if preferred.
- Heat a separate non-stick skillet or well seasoned cast iron pan to medium over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon of butter or olive oil to the skillet (for each egg). When the butter starts to foam and melt, crack the egg and add the egg to the pan. Cook until the white is set and solid. Add salt and pepper if necessary, and set aside. Follow the step for all 4 eggs.