This recipe combines many ingredients from Brazil. The winning flavor of this dish marries the chicken to flavorful ingredients, coconut, chourico, cilantro, and lime. The taste invites you to an outstanding lightly spiced Brazilain dining experience.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 whole chicken legs (2 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black ground pepper
- 1/2 pound ground chourico
- 1 onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 3 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 pound baking potatoes (peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (plus lime wedges for serving)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro (plus sprigs)
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
- Preheat the oven to 425°
- In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the olive oil.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Working in 2 batches, brown the chicken over moderate heat, turning occasionally, about 8 minutes per batch. Transfer the chicken to a large plate.
- Add the chouriço and onion to the casserole and cook, stirring to break up the meat, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the ginger, and garlic, cook until for about a minute.
- Add the coconut milk, potatoes and chicken and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and bake in the oven for about 1 hour, until the chicken is cooked through. Stir in the lime juice and butter.
- Spoon the braised chicken and potatoes into shallow bowls.
Add Garnish and serve with lime wedges.
- Categories: Chicken