This is one of those typical Portuguese dishes that you have to taste. The Portuguese people eat these pork sandwiches like Americans eat burgers... anytime and anywhere. The perfect storm of succulent marinated pork on a Portuguese roll.
If Portugal were to name a national sandwich, the Bifana would be it!
Bifana Mix Ingredients: Kocher salt, paprika, garlic powder, gluten free Herb-ox beef bouillon, onion powder, Portuguese all-spice, black pepper, cut bay leaf
Easy Recipe on the Back of Package:
- Boneless pork tenderloin, thinly sliced about a ¼ inch thick (8 slices)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Optional sautéed onions - recipe below
- 1 package of Bifana Seasoning Mix
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Mix marinade ingredients, add pork, and marinate 24 hours.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Set aside 1 cup of the marinade. Cook 4 cutlets at a time.
- Cook in heated skillet until beginning to brown, turning only once, about 1 ½ minutes per side.
- After all cutlets are cooked, deglaze the pan with 1 cup of the reserved marinade. This will loosen the tasty particles on the bottom of the pan after cooking all your pork cutlets. At this point add the optional sautéed onions back to the pan.
- Deglaze for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Assemble four Bifana sandwiches. Two cutlets per sandwich.
- Drizzle the pan dripping and optional onions over the cutlets.
Add Sautéed Onions (optional)
2 Large sweet onions
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon of butter
Peel and slice the onions.
In a large sauté pan or skillet, heat the olive oil and butter over medium high heat.
Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Reduce heat to medium and cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add cooked onions to a bowl and set aside for later.