Portuguese Rice Pudding (Arroz Doce)
Portuguese rice pudding, or Arroz Doce, is one of the most popular and traditional desserts in. Portuguese cuisine. It is a unique dish with simple ingredients which are combined to create a deliciously sweet and creamy egg based rice pudding.
- 2 cups water
- 1 lemon peel
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup short grain rice (or medium grain rice)
- 2 ½ cups hot milk
- 2 ½ cups half-and-half
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (Garnish)
- In a saucepan add the water, lemon peel, cinnamon sticks, and salt, bring to a boil.
- While it’s boiling, add the rice.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until almost all the water has been absorbed.
- Add the milk, half-and-half and sugar to the rice.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to maintain a simmer. Cook, uncovered, and stirring frequently, until the mixture starts to thicken, about 30 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks together. Add 3 tablespoons of the rice mixture one tablespoon at a time to temper the eggs. Make sure you are beating the eggs vigorously while adding the 3 tablespoons of the rice mixture.
- Now add that egg mixture quickly into the saucepan.
- Let the rice continue to simmer for about 10 minutes to allow the rice to thicken. It should form a nice creamy consistency.
- Remove lemon peel and cinnamon sticks.
- Transfer to one large serving dish or small dessert cups.
Garnish with cinnamon.