This recipe for Portuguese kale soup is a crowd favorite that has nourished family and friends for generations. This is a very flavorful soup. The Chouriço gives the broth a good flavor. Kale soup is a winter wonder. Serve with warm crusty bread. A great next day soup and freezes well. Serves 6
- ½ gallon of water (8 cups)
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon of gravy master or kitchen bouquet
- 1 bunch of kale. Pull leaves of stems and chop, discard stems
- 2 links of chouriço, sliced
- 1 pound of stew meat
- ½ small head of cabbage, chopped
- 2 medium onions chopped
- ½ tablespoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup red wine
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can dark red kidney beans
- 1-pound potatoes peeled and cut into bite size cubes.
- Bring all ingredients to a boil in at least a 12-quart pot, except potatoes and beans.
- Cover reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours.
- Bring back to a boil and add potatoes and beans.
- Cook till potatoes are done to your liking
Serve with some Portuguese bread or other crusty bread.
Left overs can be frozen and make another meal or quick lunch.