Bacalhau à Gomes de Sá is one of the most popular bacalhau (cod fish) recipe in Portugal. José Luís Gomes de Sá, was born in Porto, on 7 February 1851. Gomes de Sá was the son of a rich 19th century cod trader in Porto. The family fortune dwindled as there was a devastating fire in the warehouse.
José then had to find a job at Restaurante Lisbonense, a restaurant in downtown Porto where he created this recipe.
Gomes de Sá was not only a cod trader but also a food connoisseur. He used a well-known recipe for bolinhos de bacalhau or cod fish cakes and with some of the same ingredients, decided to create a new recipe. Bacalhau à Gomes de Sá was born.
- 1 ½ pounds dried salted cod. Soak cod in large bowl of water for 30-36 hours in refrigerator with 3 water changes.
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt (divided)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 2 medium onions sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 gloves chopped garlic
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 eggs, hard-boiled, chopped
- 1 red hot finger pepper, sliced
- Portuguese olives
- In large pan, place potatoes covered with water, ½ teaspoon salt and bring to boil, cook for 10 minutes.
- Place soaked boneless codfish over the boiling potatoes and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Remove cod fish from pan and set aside to cool.
- Drain potatoes and set aside to cool. Slice the potatoes into ¼ inch slices.
- In large skillet heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat.
- Add sliced onions, ½ tsp salt and bay leaf, sauté till golden brown.
- Add garlic and cook an additional 3 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and let the onions cool for a few minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a large oven proof pan with olive oil. Start layering the potatoes, flaked cod, then onions.
- Drizzle remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and ground black pepper over each layer.
- Make sure you end up with onions on top. Cover and cook in oven for 30 minutes.
- Arrange cooked egg slices and hot finger pepper on top of onion layer.
- Cook uncovered for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add olives for garnish.